Let’s face it: fidget spinners are the new craze, and love them or hate them we’re gonna see much more of them in the weeks and months to come. I wrote this to give some perspective on the whole fidget spinner situation – when they appeared, how they grew, who loves and hates them and why. Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below!
A brief history of fidget spinners
How it all started
Time credits a woman named Catherine Hettinger for inventing fidget spinners in 2006, including their most popular design nowadays:
- Round Corner and Soomth Surface - Protect your fingers from scratching.
- A Good Choice for Killing Time, Having Fun, Helping Relieve Stress, Keep Focusing.
- User-friendly - Portable, No Repair, Oil, Maintenance Needed! Use it directly out of box.
- Great for Anxiety, ADHD, Autism, Quit Smoking, Staying Awake On Long Car Drives, Etc
- DESIGNED:Designed with for Fidgeters! We made sure that the EDC Spinner felt satisfying, as well as provide a smooth functional spin. Giving you the satisfaction you're looking for in a Fidget EDC Spinner!
But most of us are probably more acquainted with other designs from manufacturers like Rotablade or ZeroFeud, who started to appear on our newsfeeds in EDC groups last year. I first learned about fidget spinners a couple of months ago, apparently shortly after they came to market. When I first launched the site, they were the topic of my first real post, and as I would later learn, they are by far the most popular type of fidget toy for the members of our small community.
Fidget spinners today
Nowadays, log on to Amazon and search for a fidget spinner. This is what you’re gonna see:
- A must-have Fidget Spinner Toy: Great For Anxiety, ADHD, Autism, ADD,Quit Smoking, Staying Awake On Long Car Drives, Helpful for Focus and Deep Thought!
- Amazingly Fast: It spins very smoothly and pretty quiet. Flick and Spin for Hours with Just One or Both Hands. and Amazing Fast,3 Minute Average Spins Based on the Power you use to Spin.
- Extremely well made: Pretty Good Bearings,the caps and bearings won't fall off, unless you want to get them out. The frame is sleek and unbreakable, injection molded, not 3D-printed,Super smooth ceramic bearings with vibrant color.
- Addictive fun: Keeps your hands and mind busy and not on your cell phone! It's also a great conversation piece. Everybody should try it !
- BEST PRICE AT ALL 2 MINS SPINNERS! Purchases 2 items each gets 10% discount!
- EXCELLENT PLAY TOY: To Mother and Father on Fathers Day Field Day and Summer Holiday: Spend some easy time playing with your kids to just see who is more 'spinworthy'. Not only will your kids enjoy it, but you'll also find yourself immersed in this tension-relieving game.
- EVERYBODY ATTENTION: There are Clear, Double side printed on our products! We received many customer complaints against other sellers for single side printed. If you purchase and receive from other seller, please report to amazon for sell fake products and A-Z Claim for FULL REFUND.
- EXTREMELY WELL MADE: NOING Tri Fidget Hand Spinner Camouflage Multi Color Double Side Clearly Printed, EDC Focus Toy For Kids & Adults Cool Gift, good bearings, the caps and bearings won't fall off, unless you want to get them out. The frame is sleek and unbreakable, injection molded, not 3D-printed, super smooth stainless bearings with vibrant color.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Remove stress and enjoy the occasional pass-time spin fun. Anything else and we'll process a full money-back refund for you. Your satisfaction is our priority, no questions asked!
… and a lot more variants on the same model. This plastic tri-spinner model is by far the most popular, and for good reason: it’s the one that caught on. People associate fidget spinners with this particular design, and most of those who only learned of them in recent weeks don’t even know there’s any other design out there.
What people are saying about fidget spinners
Having built this site from scratch, I do a ton of research on the subject, and I’m on a dozen fidget-related Facebook groups. Needless to say, my wall is constantly filled with spinner news, and most of it is positive, since it’s just like-minded people talking about their hobby. Step into the outside world on sites like Reddit, and opinions are much more divided. Let’s look into the reasons why people love or hate spinners, and what they’re saying about them.
Why people love fidget spinners
In short: they’re fun. That’s it, the whole spiel – fidget spinners don’t really do anything else, they’re useful for literally nothing else but to have something to play with. They’re easy to carry around, and quiet enough so that you can play with them without anyone else knowing. And if you’re here, you probably know that already.
Others have taken spinners to a whole new level and use them to do tricks and turn a mindless pastime into a… sport?
Why people hate fidget spinners
Because it seems like a fad and some people take it too far. That’s my take on it, at least – they’re seen by some people as the new craze, the new thing that everyone’s into, so just to be part of the counterculture some people think it’s cool to hate on them.
Others just hate them because there’s that one dude in your office who constantly spins his spinner in all the meetings – but hey, you’d hate that guy no matter what he did. Other fidget spinners are marketed as autism relief, so some think that only people with autism will play with one.
Fidget spinners in social media
Don’t just take my rambling, here’s what others are saying about fidget spinners, or what they’re doing with them:
… like I said, some people love ’em, some people hate ’em.
What do you think of fidget spinners?
Let’s start a small poll of our own. Although we’re certainly biased, let’s share this with our friends and see where we’re at! Because love them or hate them… fidget spinners are here to stay. If the poll below won’t load, you can visit this URL to vote.
Also, I’m thinking of compiling everything I see on social media about spinners (good or bad) into a series of posts. If you’re interested, let me know in the comments!