TL;DR: If you’ve ever heard of EDC spinners but you’re not quite sure what they are, I put together this guide as a broad overview. Is anything left unclear after reading this post? Did I leave out your favorite gadget? Let me know in the comments below!
EDC spinners are the topic I thought that the first “real” post on the site should try to cover. Ideally, this should put EDC into perspective and analyze the types of products we’re going to be focusing on in more detail. Since I discovered EDC toys relatively recently, these first posts will also recreate my journey to discover what EDC is all about. Hopefully, if you’re just starting out you’re going to find these posts useful.
So, without further ado, here’s a relatively close look into all the different EDC Spinners:
What are EDC Spinners?
This is my first – and so far my only spinner. When I first started to research stress relief gadgets similar to the Fidget Cube, I found that spinners are by far the most wide spread of them all. Basically, every EDC gear list would contain one of these. In essence, these toys consist of a center ball bearing that you hold between your thumb and index finger and some sort of “body” that spins around the center ball bearing.
I mostly use it when I’m at my computer, focused on something that doesn’t require me to type, or when I’m stuck in traffic counting the minutes go by without me moving. But since I’ve got my daily carry with me, it’s always ready for a couple of spins as a stress relief. But, as I’ve said before, different people will use these gadgets differently. Here’s one of them in action:
Even though addictive fidget toys like these spinners aren’t exactly mainstream yet, there are hundreds of different models, ranging from the most basic 3D printed ones (and not even that, if you count the DIY fidget spinners that everyone can make themselves), to beautifully crafted gadgets that look so good I doubt I’d even remove them for fear of somehow damaging them.
Listing all EDC spinners here would be futile, so in what follows I tried to present a couple from each price range, as well as some other types of spinners just to get the full picture.
Cheap EDC Spinners
Cheap EDC spinners come in all shapes and sizes, but I classify them into two groups: DIY spinners, the ones that you can make at home using some household items and a bit of MacGyver-ing, and regular cheap spinners – often made from plastic or 3D printed, they’re great if it’s your first spinner. Let’s see some examples from each:
Fidget spinners like belong to a market that’s yet to adapt to its customers’ needs. So naturally, many of these people are building their own products. Some are obviously better at this than others, while some of the spinners I’ve seen put the “professional” ones to shame. Here are some of the DIY spinners I’ve found:
/u/Sporxable posted his version of a DIY everyday carry spinner in this thread. I honestly don’t know what I’m more jealous of, that this thing looks fun or that it only took him five minutes to make it.
And then we have this one:
This DIY spinner is my favorite one, by far. It shows that all you really need is a ball bearing and ingenuity – in this case, some zip ties and some pennies. Brilliant!
Cheap Fidget spinners
If you’re planning on spending some money though, there are quite a few to choose from. They literally come in all shapes and sizes, and you can get one for under $10. The one I have (the first one pictured higher up) cost me the equivalent of $7, smack-dab in the middle of “impulse buy” territory. Here are a couple of cheap spinners from my archive:
The one below comes from Amazon and it’s similar to the 3D printed one that I posted the video of at the beginning of the post:
- Super fast spinning for fidgeting
- Super quiet for covert fidgeting
- Great quality at a great price
- Super HOT item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other similar spinners are available for much cheaper. Check this one out – with a ball bearing made of ceramic, and just over the $10 mark:
Cheap can get even cheaper, like this $8.99 spinner. Plus, it shows off the diversity of EDC spinners as it stands out from the crowd:
- Instantly calming dual pieces rotate between fingers
- Perfect for ADHD / Autism fidgeting
- Includes 3 fidgets so use one at the office, the car, home, etc.
- Roughly the size of a quarter so easily hidden
- Ages over 3 due to size and choking hazard
I could list cheap EDC spinners here all day, but hey, we’ve got a bunch of posts lined up that will do just that. Suffice to say that if you want to try your very own spinner, these cheap ones are a great place to start! But if you’re more serious, keep scrolling below.
Quality EDC Spinners
Here’s the thing: at the end of the day, a cheap spinner won’t outshine a more expensive one. You’re not paying extra for tiny improvements, most times more expensive actually means better. And I’ll go back to my original example here: the spinner I paid less than $8 for only spins for a couple of seconds at full speed, and after a week of sporadic use I can already feel it spin slower and slower.
Quality EDC Spinners are a catch-all term for the $50-$100 price range. The difference between them should be noticeable, and the couple of spinners I’ve tried out were indeed better than my cheap one in almost every way: design, build, feel, durability. Here are a couple of spinners I found that fit here:
I don’t even know how I got this far into the post without mentioning one of the most popular spinners: Rotablade’s Stubby Light Spinner:
Apart from these, I’ve found a couple of awesome quality EDC spinners on Amazon, if you want to put your Prime subscription to good use, here are three other quality EDC spinners I found – we’ll probably go into more detail and feature them again in the future, but for the moment you can use them as a frame of reference:
- TOP QUALITY PREMIUM SPINNER: 100% stainless steel material. Durable; will never bend or crack. Manufactured to be strong and to last. The ball bearing is a premium quality hybrid Silicon Nitride ceramic bearing. The bearing will not fail and will spin nicely. The anodized surface creates a fun and attractive color pattern.
- LONG SPIN TIME: 4-5 minute spin time due to the premium quality ceramic bearing. Spins smoothly and powerfully in your hand. The concave button provides comfort and good grip and also facilitates a nice spin on any flat surface. Well made and long lasting.
- FREE ADDITIONS: Not only do you get a top quality spinner, but you will also receive a nice gift box, which holds the spinner tight. In addition, you get a nice velvet drawstring bag and a metal carabiner.
- PROMOTES PERSONAL HEALTH: Can be useful for individuals who have stress or ADHD. Use this spinner often to keep your fingers busy, stay awake, constructively kill time, aid focus, help thinking & concentration, enjoy down time, and have fun.
- TRAVELS EASILY: This spinner is compact and easily fits into your pocket, bag, or purse. Carry with you everywhere you go. Enjoy it in the car on trips, at the office while working, during class, while studying and trying to think. Take it to work, to school, to a friend's house, or on vacation.
- The body is made of 100% high quality CNC milled TC4 titanium which is non-toxic, corrosion resistant and durable. The button is concave for comfort.
- Handmade with skilled craftsmanship ensure a quality product. Compact and light weight, perfect small size for EDC pocket carry.
- Great For Anxiety, ADHD, Autism, Quitting Bad Habits, Staying Awake On Long Car Drives, Etc.
- Perfect fidget toy to keep your hands busy or to just play with. It feels nice in the hands and it is silent so you won't be bothering anybody.
- How to use it: Hold spinner in one hand and use the other hand to spin it rapidly with small continuous strikes to keep it spinning indefinitely. With practice you can spin it using one hand only with the fingers to start and stop spinning.
- Table Top Functionality! We listened to our customers and developed a design that allows for Table top spinning.
- Premium ball bearings for smoother and longer spin duration.
- Designed by Fidgeters for Fidgeters! We made sure that our EDC Spinner felt satisfying, as well as provide a smooth functional spin. Giving you the satisfaction you're looking for in a Fidget EDC Spinner! Relieve your Stress, Anxiety, ADHD, Autism. Helps you stay focused!
- Removable Finger Buttons Included for all Fidget Spinners. (Will vary depending on the model you purchase). Designed for finger comfort and optimal spinning.
- 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED! If you're not 100% happy with the fidget toy, let us know! We will do everything in our power to fix the issue.
Premium EDC Spinners
I hope “premium” is the right word here, as I wanted to find a way to differentiate between the more expensive quality EDC spinners and the really expensive ones that you can find here and there.
Just as I was saying about the quality EDC spinners, premium ones are most likely better in a number of ways, mainly in materials used (instead of 3D printed plastic you get titanium, for instance), and the balance of the spinner.
I found the perfect four spinners to showcase premium spinners, and without further ado here they are:
Later edit: I received a cool tip from /u/BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz about the Vorso Flat Top, going for £160.00 on the VorsoSpin website. Give it a look, it’s awesome!
And that’s a wrap!
I hope this post has been useful and you’ve learned the basics of spinners. As I said at the beginning, if there’s anything I missed or if you want to leave your own thoughts, use the comment section below!